Re: Turn signals flasher

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Turn signals flasher
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 09:05:42 -0700
>From: Chris S. Mottram@ECCI on 08/02/97 12:03 AM
>
>I can't get my left front turn signal to flash or light at all.  The
>parking light comes on just fine so I assume the ground to the lamp unit is
>OK.  When I use my volt meter to check for power I get about 2.5 volts
>constant with a rythmic pulse (the flash) of 5-6 volts.  This is the same
>as what I get at the right front signal unit (that one works).  Yes the
>bulb (1156) is OK.  Bulbs work in the right, not in the left.  The rear
>signals flash fine. Is this the right amount of power coming to the signal
>lights?  My meter won't measure amps, could I be getting enough volts but
>not enough amps?  What's the difference?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>Series 5

Chris, I had the same problem on my tiger and on my series five.  I traced
it to the ground on the rear tail light housing mounting bolts.  The area
around where the wing nut touches the metal needs to be clean and rust
free.  I'm talking about inside screw type.  Those wing nuts are what make
the ground for the system and although you can't really see inside the
fender, you can just get your hand in there with a little sand paper and
clean that area, especially the top one.  Also the mounting stud threads
need to be cleaned with a wire brush, so it's best to remove the whole tail
light unit.  While you are at it you can clean the bulb sockets with sand
paper also they are sometimes corroded.  After I did this my left blinker
light finally worked.  Also if your head lights are dim, or if one is
dimmer than the other.  Then you need to clean the ground clips that are
under the forward hood buffers, one for each headlight on either side of
the hood opening.  I removed the buffer and ground clips and cleaned them
real good with sand paper and also cleaned the area where they touch the
body.  One of the clips broke when I was trying to clean it so I made
another out of a sheet of thin brass cut to size and then bent to shape,
worked great.  Hope this helps
 Regards Armand Ritchie

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie