Re: cooling hot tigers

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: cooling hot tigers
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:35:12 -0700
OK, so let's open up this discussion again........cause I am just as curious.

Does this mean I would be foolish to try adding baffels to the side tanks
of my existing raditator to direct flow so the water goes through the
radiator two to three times instead of one pass??

Why then, does my car still heat up using a non-standard 160 degree
thermostat?? In effect don't the holes drilled in say, a 195 degree
thermostat effectively open it up earlier as would a lower rated thermostat?

Would not the drilled holes possibly lead to INCREASED cavitation and
therefore, air, in the system???  Is not air in the system a killer to the
cooling capability??

Par usual, I am now more confused than ever.  I suppose the best place to
start out is to have my current radiator rodded-out and boiled, start
tinkering and measure the results....what we all normally do.....

Regards,

Allan
B9472373     ......generalizations are not!!

At 12:39 PM 8/29/97 -0600, STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com wrote:

>Something's a bit off in this explanation.
>
>The guy's pump is running slower, so he gets higher temperatures.  Makes
sense
>so far.  But drilling holes in the thermostat cures the problem, by allowing
>some flow when it's closed?  Wrong explanation.  If he's too hot, the thing
>should be wide open, and the additional holes serve to decrease the
restriction
>at the thermostat, increasing the flow.  Without knowing how many holes,
and how
>big the stock opening is, it's hard to say how much of a difference it
makes,
>but it must make some.  And the car will take longer to warm up.
>
>Remember the discussions of a few weeks back.  This result adds to the
evidence
>against those folks who want to slow the flow to improve the cooling.
>
>Stu

Cynicism SUCKS !!