Re: cooling hot tigers

To: User208391@aol.com
Subject: Re: cooling hot tigers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:17:14 +0100
User208391@aol.com wrote:

>   The problem seems not to ly with water flow nor incoming air. I thing the
> problem is getting rid of the hot spent air from the radiator.  I don't have
> a tiger but I do own an Alpine S1.  I am installing a 2.8lL V-6 Ford.  This
> is one problem I will address before It hits the road. I live in
> Bakersfield,Ca  and temps do soar in the summer.  Our engine bays allow
> little room for hot air to escape.  Good luck.   T.C.

Dear User208391 (or T.C.),

"They've given me a number, and taken away my name"

                                        - TV Show "The Prisoner", Patrick
McGohaan, , Lotus 7

When I put a 2.8 liter Pontiac V-6 in the rear of my custom design car,
and put the radiator up front, I was really concerned about overheating
potential. The things I did were: Shroud the radiator so that all
incoming air went thru it. Kept the factory Fiero radiator/electric
thermostat fan/ fan shrould. Left big hole behind radiator to let the
air out. Put a flexible G.M. "air dam" under the front air inlet. No
problems.

How does this apply to the Alpiac(?), Alpemero(?) ? Well that front air
dam certainly bears looking at. It is a simple plastic piece that is
mounted under the front valance of most GM (or other) cars. Sometimes
they get fancy and use wrap-around pieces, but I just got the flat one.
It only sticks down about 3 inches, and could probably be mated to the
Alpine/Tiger front valance (with a little added aluminum sheet/brace and
some screws). The point behind this is to cause a partial vacuum
(actually reduced pressure zone) with the air stream behind the
radiator. This "pulls" the air thru the radiator and get's rid of the
air not having anywhere to go when stagnating under the hood.

It's cheap, easy, and removeable.

If anyone tries this, please let us know.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >