Re: Rod Length

To: RPalmerBob@aol.com, a-richat@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: Rod Length
From: briden@norcross.mcs.slb.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:29:27 -0400
Gentlemen,

I am a layman and not an engineer, but I have been reading this thread with
some interest.  Now though, I feel compelled to ask a question (albeit
naive it may be).  So please educate a few of us.

You all keep talking about rod length dictating compression, torque and
piston speed, but if the crank offset (correct term?) does not change, then
why would piston speed and travel change?  All I can see is that longer
connecting rods would reduce cylinder volume, but piston travel and speed
would remain constant.

Is that not correct?  If not, why?

Regards

Ray