Re: Fwd: New E-mail Virus

To: "Schonberger, Barry" <bkschonb.ucs@smtp.usi.edu>
Subject: Re: Fwd: New E-mail Virus
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:30:19 +0100
Barry,

>From time-to-time we have heard warnings about virus-bearing e-mails.
Our Corporate Computer Resources Division has repeatedly said that an
e-mail can NOT transmit a virus. HOWEVER, an enclosure to the e-mail
may. There are some particularly nasty ones that come as a Microsoft
Word document attachment. "Happy Days" comes to mind. The viruses are
inserted into the Word document thru Macros. Macros are "features" of
Microsoft, and other programs, that allow computer commands to be
inserted into documents for many good and valid reasons. It is these
"altered Macros" that could contain the virus. It is good to know which
e-mails may contain enclosures that may contain viruses. The major virus
scanning programs have detectors of the recent ones, and provide
warning. I strongly recommend your current virus scanners be updated
frequently. They are usually free on the manufacturer's web site.

Bottom line. Opening an e-mail will not infect your machine. If the
e-mail has an enclosure, use your scanner before opening it.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >