Re: Aerosol Paint Request

To: "Kirk G. Even" <keven@eagle1.eaglenet.com>
Subject: Re: Aerosol Paint Request
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:37:50 +0100
Kirk G. Even wrote:

> Could someone please give me a company name and number for custom paint
>colors mixed by single aerosol can.  Remembered someone bought a can some
>months ago. Thanks in advance.
>
> Kirk

Kirk,

Here is my original response:

I finally finished the spraying of my one headlight rim with the can of
86 green from Tower Paint. I have included the original e-mail for those
who accidently hit "delete."

It looks great. The spray nozzle is special and produces a "fan" spray,
like a real spray gun, rather than a circle. The color match is very
good, and the difference is most likely the age of the original paint.
Remember, the Rootes codes are Enamel. The Acrylic codes are "close", as
the vendor says.

I did cheat a little bit. Got "chicken" at the last minute and asked a
paint shop to spray the removed rim. There were a few scratches in the
primer, and I figured he could prep and spray in his booth, and I
wouldn't get knicked too badly. He really liked the car, and besides, he
charged me zip. Came out great (overnight dry recommended). Got a bid on
a complete repaint, including hard-top, with the best hardened acrylic
urethane, all the skin ripples removed, and color-sanded. Trunk and hood
interior included. I remove chrome strips/badges/ stuff. $2500. Don't
need it yet, but someday. Saw Jan Harding's car at Woodley Park.
Sunday's British Car Meet, not Saturday's Chrysler Meet (guess I could
have entered both). With the attention to detail he has put into that
beautiful restoration, I think I'll just stay street driveable. Won't
race Phil Hill either (well maybe in a few more years he'll get feebler
faster than me {8->)

Hope this helps out the "Can of 86 Green, Please" group.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/