Re: Clymer - Chittenden Errors?

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Clymer - Chittenden Errors?
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 19:38:38 -0500
At 03:07 PM 11/3/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Just received my "new" reproduction(?) of the "Performance Tuning
>Sunbeam Tiger" Clymer publication. This was first issued in 1967. As I
>recall, a few threads back, someone said this book erred in stating that
>a 260 was a 289 block not bored all the way out, and could be bored to
>4.00, making a 289. As I recall (and I may have mis-remembered), the
>book was taken to task for this. In reading it now, I run across page
>19.  It does, indeed say there were 2 "260's", one with a 289 block. It
>does indeed say you can tell the difference by the number of freeze
>plugs (3 vs. 2). Now the "infamous next parargraph is quoted:
>
>"A minute for some thinking here. Say you do have the 289 block;that
>means you COULD bore it out to 4.00" and have yourself a 289 with the
>correct set of pistons. Once again, you can't bore out the 260 block to
>the 4.00" required on the 289."
>
>This is an exact quote, including the crowded "-block;that-" typeset. I
>believe he is pretending to be a questioner, then answerer. The english
>may be a little clumsy, and his "260" vs "289" block type could have
>been better stated, but he does not claim that the later "260", with the
>three freeze plug "289-type" block can be bored out to 4.0. He
>specifically denies it.
>
>I think an author's credibility needs to be evaluated. If one or more of
>the things he says lead you to doubt his authority, then you would
>question relying on him for those areas where you do not know the right
>answer. Gordon Chittenden may have made some errors, but this was not
>one of them.
>
>Steve
>--
>Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >
>B9472289              < one first love, and   >
>                      < one first win, is all >
>                      < you get in this life. >
Steve,
        In my original copy, in the paragraph above what you quoted, talking
about
 head gaskets, states: "This is true if you have a 260 cylinder block, but most
of the Tigers are coming through with what is actually a 289 block only bored
to 260"s 3.80 bore!"
        My understanding of the page was that the 3 freeze plug block was bored
 to 3.80" and that it could be bored to 4.0".  However I recommend that any one
 considering boring a Tiger 3 freeze plug block from 3.80 to 4.0 should do a
sonic check to see if there is enough wall thickness before the block is bored.
        Any way, why waste a Tiger Block, when 289's and 302's are so available
from the junk yards or the rebuilders? The 5 versis 6 bolt is the only hassle.
        I have found this book to be of help to me many times.  It is the best
book on Tigers I have found. Now if we could just get the mechcanics to go by
the Flat Rate Table in the book.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others