Re: 'Worked' 6 blade fan diameter?

To: alcon@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 'Worked' 6 blade fan diameter?
From: JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 97 21:10:57 -0800
     I've been listening to the "faint at heart" and disagree.  I'm an
     amateur at shearing metals but I had some excellent sheet metal shears
     that made the task a breeze.  I know, when you lay out 60-70 bucks,
     it's scary to trust your inexperience, but the right tools go a long
     way.  I started by identifying the amount of material I wanted to take
     off of the blades and then made a template.  After scoring each blade
     I then "followed the dotted line".  Finish it off with a file and a
     spot of paint.

     The fan turned out great.  After removing a 1/2 inch on each blade,
     the fan measures 14 inches across.  Probably could have gotten away
     with removing 3/8 inch on each blade but would have had to tweak the
     fan shroud more.  My only regret comes from someones post that said
     they had only cut a corner of the blade to clear the rack.  I trimmed
     mine evenly across each blade.

     JDI and good luck,

     Jeff Carter

Author:  Non-HP-alcon (alcon@earthlink.net) at HP-ColSprings,mimegw5
Date:    11/26/97 10:55 AM

At 02:47 AM 11/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Alan,
>     You'll probably get alot of these, if so, just post it on Tigers.  I am
>interested in the 'exact' dimension you ended up with after modifying your
>fan.
>
>                                                      Thanks!
>
>                                                           Chris Hill
Chris,

You are right.....I will take your advice.

The 'exact' dimensions of the blade after modification are: 14 7/16 inces
in diameter.  Once again, I would caution anyone interested in modifiying
one of these blades to spend the money to have it done at a machine shop.
You can do it at home, but it is NOT a task for the faint at heart.  I
should have followed Steve Laifman's advice on this one  from the outset.
After doing it myself, I became one of the 'faints'. Hope this information
proves useful.

Regards to all....Happy Thanksgiving and Happy motoring!

Allan
B9472373