Re: Transmission noise

To: James Pickard <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission noise
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 09:54:54 -0500
James Pickard wrote:

> Sorry about this stupid question, but I've only owned my Tiger for a few
> weeks and I'm clueless as to what is normal.  There is an audible noise
> when the car is in neutral and my foot isn't on the clutch.  It isn't a
> chirp or squeal, but it is audible.  The sound stops when I step on the
> clutch.  Is this normal, or is some evil bearing in the transmission
> demanding attention?
*****************

My vote is for the throwout bearing.  They can be noisy from birth.

I recall a CAT shopnote of many years ago in which the writer described
the noise.  His recommendation was to go to your local friendly Ford
dealer and ask him to trot out all his throwout bearings.  You should
then remove each from its box, place it next to your ear, rotate it, and
listen to the noise.  You then buy the quietest one and install it.  The
success of this approach obviously depends heavily on the patience and
depth of stock of your local friendly.

My advice is - If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

--
Will Seay - 382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com