Re: Transmission noise

To: "James Pickard" <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission noise
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:24:08 -0800 (PST)
At 10:40 AM 12/11/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Sorry about this stupid question, but I've only owned my Tiger for a few
>weeks and I'm clueless as to what is normal.  There is an audible noise
>when the car is in neutral and my foot isn't on the clutch.  It isn't a
>chirp or squeal, but it is audible.  The sound stops when I step on the
>clutch.  Is this normal, or is some evil bearing in the transmission
>demanding attention?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Pickard
>B9473298

Yes, The input bearing is going out.  It will typically run for a long time
without failure, but will likely spin the outer race in the housing if it
really fails.  This would mean a replacement case as well as a total
teardown.  As always, it's your option.  This bearing comes in numerous
configurations, with the variation in the number of balls from about 5 to
11.  My best results have been in the middle range which combines thrust
and radial loading.

Tom