Re: Tiger Hunting Finis...

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tiger Hunting Finis...
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:32:52 EST
Hey Mark,

<<Interesting story.  Thanks from all of us in sharing it.  Let the group know
if the car turns out to be what you expected it to be.

I found it interesting that it had a new wiring harness.  Has the car been
restored?  I guess I would have thought that only someone doing a total
restoration would install a new harness.  Otherwise, the tendency might be to
just replace a section that was causing a problem.  Just my idea.  Again,
thanks for sharing the experience.

  Mark L.>>

Mark, I confess that I, too, am of the "just replace a section" school of
wiring repairs!  But, no, this time the PO did what should oughta be done and
replaced it entirely to the tune of tons o' bucks.  Did the shop that actually
did the work do what they were supposed to do and do it well?  Time will
tell...

By-the-bye, in general I ain't a big supporter of replacement wiring
harnesses.  True, they look a whole lot nicer but they can really make fault
diagnosis a whole lot harder.  No, what I like is the fact that in this case
the PO stepped up and did a full replacement whereas you or I would have
simply whacked out 10 or 15 feet of the old wires and stuck in some Pep Boys
green number 12 to repair it.  The new harness actually follows the traces
given in the book, at least as far as I could tell while running a couple of
different circuits.

Is the car restored?  Not by any reasonable standards, it ain't.  Restored
means "taken completely apart and had everything renewed, rebuilt, or
replaced."  This car is "just" a well cared for driver which is exactly what I
wanted.  This car actually has maintenance receipts!

Can't wait 'til the little dear gets here.

The way I had to buy the Tiger--first learning what I could, then researching
the marketplace (and wading through a lot of bull), then finding apparently
suitable cars, then inspecting and driving several in several days--was far
different from the way I have bought old beaters in the past and was an
interesting process because of that.

I should point out that because of the expense of going to see and drive these
cars I very nearly bought two different cars sight unseen to have them shipped
in here.  Fortunately, both deals broke down over documentation, provence, and
security issues.  I now know for an absolute incontrovertible FACT that either
purchase would have been a terrible mistake.  NEITHER of those cars were
anything close to what I wanted and neither of them were anything close to
being "as represented" by the sellers.  Oh, I would eventually have gotten
either of them sorted out but I sure would have been unhappy for a while.

As always, the moral of the story is, "caveat yer emptors, boys...."

--Colin Cobb, Countin' the Days 'Til Christmas Outside Las Cruces, NM, USA
'65 MkI & '66 Plus 4