Garage and Drive

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Garage and Drive
From: "Chris S. Mottram"<Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 21:30:27 -0500

Chris S. Mottram@ECCI
01/10/98 09:30 PM

With a new baby on the way, we are getting squeezed for space.  I am going
to convert my attached garage into a room and now my Sunbeam will be
homeless.  Enter the dream garage.  I envision building a 2 car garage with
workshop in my back yard.  What is a "good" depth for a garage?  They
appear to run from 20 - 24 feet from front to back.  I want to go 28 or 30
feet wide.
Has anyone built a garage for their toys?  How wide should I make the car
bays to provide enough room to work on the Sunbeam?  And here is an
interesting twist.  I have a 10 foot by 10 foot underground bomb shelter
(circa 1950's)  that I would like to put the garage on top of.  (Kind of a
pre-existing basement!)  It is built of cinderblock with a concrete
ceiling.  Does anyone have any idea how I would go about figuring out what
kind of a foundation/garage floor I would need to use to avoid my car from
crashing through the floor?  That would make a great photo for the 1999
calendar, "Sunbeam in a sink hole".  The ceiling of the bomb shelter is
about 2 1/2 feet below grade.  You would think that if the thing is
supposed to withstand a nuclear blast, then it should handle a car on top!

Chris