Fwd: Tiger ID manual

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Tiger ID manual
From: MWood24020 <MWood24020@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:46:29 EST

--part0_885703589_boundary

In a message dated 98-01-24 22:22:46 EST, MWood24020 writes:

<< Larry-
 I am more than willing to give you my opinion on what works as far as Tiger
suspension set-up goes. Please know, I am not an expert. All I can relate is
what I have done, what worked, and what others have been pleased with. Also,
if you are in touch with Dale, you already are in tune with advice of a
magnitude greater than what I can bring to the table.
 Springs-
 I have already thrown out to the list what I did about rear springs (extra
leaf, free in the back). For front springs, I run a CAT equivalent which I
bought from Sunbeam Specialties. We cut them about 3/4 of a coil and still run
the rubber isolators. My ride height is only 3/4 to 1" lower than stock. To
low and you end up spending too much time on the bumpstops. Of course, good
shocks. I use Konis.
 Front Sway Bar-
 There are kind of two schools of thought: Run big bars and softer springs or
run stock bars and stiffer springs. I haven't felt the need to go more than
1/8" increase in front and run urethane bushings.
 Rear Sway Bar-
 I don't run one. I used to, but felt, at least with the bolt on design, two
bad things happened. 1. The cars already have a tendency to rear wheel steer
and I felt that the bar made it worse. 2. I wanted the back end "softer" for
more neutral handling. I suppose if I ran a huge front bar I would need an
adjustable rear bar.
 Panhard Rod-
 I still use mine, because I haven't made the jump to a Torque Arm. Also, I
was actively campaigning in our area's semi-pro autocross series (AAS) and was
able to run F stock with my existing setup and beat up on Camaro 1LE's and
Mustang Cobras. Ultimately, I think junking the factory panhard rod and
running a Torque Arm and Watts link would be the best.
 Traction Masters-
 I run bolt-ons, which work better than the weld-ons. They are cleaner and
transfer the load to where it can do more good. I have also seen some trick
one-offs which were over-riders, running on top of the springs, but I don't
know how well they work. Of course, use of a Torque Arm makes this all
irrelevant!
 Torque Arm-
 ABSOLUTELY! I have driven Tigers and Mustangs equipped with this set up and
it is awesome. Not only is traction enhanced, it also helps quite a bit with
brake dive, which is something which really bugs me with my current Tiger.
 Quad Shocks-
 Why? The first thing you do when you install a Torque Arm on a Mustang is
dump the quad shocks...I really don't know.
 Wheels-
 I think 14" makes sense, 15"s and low profile rim protectors look kind of
funny on a Tiger, in my opinion. 14X6.5 and 14X7.5 running BF Goodrich Comp TA
R1's
 would work fine. Tire size will depend on whether you want to roll the fender
lips, backspacing etc. Panasports and Minilites look period correct and can be
custom ordered for fitment.
 Other Mods-
 Tom Hall has been talking to me about tubular crossmembers, tubular A-arms,
coil over shocks etc. in a Tiger application which would be real cool and
doable.

 I hope this helps,
 Mike Wood
 B382002273