Re: Tiger Torque

To: Wayne Pierzga <w_pierzga@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger Torque
From: Alvin and Lucille Johnson <johnson@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:41:35 -0400
If i were keeping my Tiger, I would definitely install a 5-speed. I
understand Dale has an installation kit available and I exchanged E-mail
with Tom Hall when he was working on engineering an  installation that
would require no rerpositioning of the shift hole opening. I think Dale
has a kit that even uses the original shift lever for an original
appearance.
        What's current in that regard, you left coast guys?
The thing is, if you are exhilarated with accelleration, the easiest way
to get it in a Tiger is through gears. The 288s it came with are
designed for top end speed, and detract from acceleration. My mild 289
Tiger was virtually unbeatable with a 331 rear, but it became
undriveable at cruising speeds, so I went to 307s. The 331 gears shift
the powerband up, but the resulting RPMs at 65mph are unworkable. The
way to have both accelleration AND a reasonable cruising speed is via a
5-speed, and 331 gears. Then Laifman's complaints about a "useless" 5th
gear are no longer valid.
Al J.