Re: Alger identification

To: johnson@ids.net, brad.parlee@edc.ge.com
Subject: Re: Alger identification
From: HW200@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 00:12:33 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-06 15:37:43 EDT, johnson@ids.net writes:

<< How about a scarlet letter A on the hood???
 Don't be so quick to dismiss the appeal of a performing car versus a
 historically accurate slug. Do we revere them or use them?? Does utility
 enter in?
 An "Alger" with a spirited 289 or 302 would be twice the fun of an
 aenemic 260 bone-stock 2barrell carb Tiger with 2.88 gears.
 Al J. >>
Did anyone see the article in Moss Motoring on HYBRIDS. It described the
Sunbeam Tiger HYBRID as "An Alpine with a V8" . That is how most car buffs
look at the Tiger. These cars are factory built hybrids so it seems humorous
to me to have such a purist aproach about them, placing a tag on them to
identify happy go lucky conversions. We are not talking about the hundreds of
thousands of dollars other collectors cars command either, heck there is one
posted right now in Birminham for $6,500. By 1967 dollars isn't that about
$650? Can you say Jensen Interceptor? I bought mine for $5k. My buddy just
bought a used Camry for more than that. Not a great investment car.  As for
the factory authorized rebodies, and the Le Mans cars, these are the
historical (factory authorized) "conversions" we all know and love -and they
are worth lots becuase of their historical significance. We just don't see
many on the racetracks anymore and according to Rosemary Smith who has driven
one of the LeMans cars they don't belong on a track today, they're unsafe,
slow and I hear they crash when they are on track. Then there are the cases of
other "Offline" conversions. Not just the home made variety we all find
appauling...these have been going on for decades, (remember hot rods), -in
racing and on the streets. If you can build a better Tiger- nobody will stop
you from doing it. Others may know it is not a "pure"Tiger, whatever that
is(trailer queen, show and go slow etc..), but beware we will all come down on
an individual trying to deceive someone else in a sale. But if the "experts"
who write about cars describe Tigers as Alpines with V8s I don't know what to
think anymore....

Let's recap-
Poor investment. (see stock market for better results)
Outsiders published view as "Alpine with a V8"
Insiders view "Alpine with a V8" as Alger, or Rebody-
Some rebodies are OK, just as long as the factory said OK a long time ago.
Others are OK as long as they get passed by TAC.
Others whether they are better or worse are not OK.
-
If you are having trouble with the Ford engine and the Alpine body concept and
want a tag to identify it so you can buddy up with a purist....i would suggest
an original riveted " Sunbeam idiot" tag to put on your car.
That may be more appropriate.Have fun -that is why we drive them.

Henry