Re: FW: VB Windshields

To: "Parlee, Brad (ED&C,SLS)" <brad.parlee@edc.ge.com>
Subject: Re: FW: VB Windshields
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 09:07:38 +0100

Parlee, Brad (ED&C,SLS) wrote:

   Had the same experience but not with VB.  It was Triplex labeled but did not
   fit till I bent the frame to fit it.  Then the combination didn't fit the
   car very well.  This remains one of the "not right" things on my car.  If
   there is a morale to this story it is: Don't wait till the end of your
   restoration to try and fit the windshield ............and there is more to
   it then the price of the glass.

Brad,

I believe the moral is really "don't buy ANYTHING from VB"

   There were various shims used to fit the frame on the car has anyone
   documented what is correct there?

Yes.  There are different numbers of bolts holding the windshield to the body in
different years.  I had two on the outside, reachable with
door open, and three across the rest of the windshield (reachable with a little
effort, and a wobbly extension for the one near the wiper motor)  Some have
less.  None of these bolts had anything under them but washers. lock nuts, and
the rubber sandwich of the body seal and the frame.

There were, however, two small tapered shims, about 1 1/2 inches long, at the
outer edges between the body rubber and the window frame.  These set the "rake"
of the windshield.  I believe, if you have a hardtop, that you ought to do the
final bolting down with the hardtop and window frames and glass installed.  This
will help you get the height, location  of top, and side window seal in proper
balance.  Lots of grey sealant was used everywhere.  It had hardened like
concrete after 30 years.  Although this material (or at least the same color) is
available in strips from Sunbeam Specialties. My glass installer had some new
black strips that sre supposed to remain stable and pliable.  He used them on
both sides of the body seal, as well as the rear hardtop window rubber. They
also worked quite well in attaching plastic sheeting around the door to keep
water out of the back side of the door panel.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >