'Beam tops

Subject: 'Beam tops
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:03:58 -0600
Hey Gang,

So anyway, we took the 'Beamish Boy into El Paso yesterday to get the
errant JVC deck worked on and someplace during the 112 mile trip I
realized that it is time to get soft tops on both 'Beamish and Tigger. I
don't know whether it was the fact that during the morning trip in to El
Paso I, in my trusty tank-top, was downright chilly or the fact that I,
during the afternoon run home, got my arms AGAIN burned to a crisp, but
something made me realize that Janet is right, the top would work
better if it was actually installed on the car.

After making a few phone calls I realized that there is nobody anywhere
around here who knows any more about installing the top than I do, which
is to say "nothing." That being the case, I decided to install it
myself. I decided to install Tigger's soft top on 'Beamish and buy
another soft top to install on Tigger. This way I get the chance to use
Janet's car to pract... Well, this way Janet gets protected from the
elements sooner than I do. Downright chivalrous, no?

Imagine my chagrin when I opened the Robbins box and found NO
installation instructions at all. Just a "WARNING" to have an upholstery
or trim shop install the top which tells me that Mr. Robbins knows
precious little about life in the hinterlands of New Mexico.

So anyway, can anybody offer any tips on installing this puppy?

'Beamish, incidentally, ran beautifully on the jaunt. 180 C at 75 mph
both in to El Paso and back home again. I would still like to replace
the gooseneck (water outlet pipe) but don't want to spend $40 on the
crummy part. The JVC deck now works great and I can now crank it up to
blow the semis off the road when they storm by us.

--Colin