Re: Rod length and oil additives

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Rod length and oil additives
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:01:06 -0500
Hmmmm

Well a well....

I wonder why the Rat engine builders use truck blocks with the high deck
allowing use of longer rods?  'Course they run a Bowtie..

All I can say is this: I don't think that Ford had to reuse old parts, and
build pistons with relocated pins in order to save a few bucks.  I suspect
that there was a purpose.  Reliability, less stress on the skirts and less
friction (and wear) overall, as well as greater time at TDC and better rod
angularity on the crank all joining together to produce more power.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts... could this be
the case here?

I grant that this is probably not a trick that will benefit the 5000 RPM
stockers out there.

Regards,

Ray