Re: Rod length and oil additives

To: spook01@mindspring.com, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rod length and oil additives
From: DrMayf@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:17:15 EDT
Well, Ray
I see that you did not include one single shred of fact to support your
statements. Please provide names, dates, data, specific engines, modifications
made to the engines during testing and standard conditions. Simply talking to
people only propogates the errors. I have found that those who support the
long rod theory, and I do in a way, wind up modifying the engine while in the
process of adding the long rods. They usually add a cam to take advantage of
the long rods, or port the manifold, or add ..... As to the SVO rods, yep,
they have relocated pin bosses to account for the use of stronger rods. The
ones I have investigated used Boss type rods which I believe are slightly
longer compared to 302/5.0L rods. I posted the complete rod ratio chart from
the SVO catalog some time ago for the interest of others. The data I supplied
in calculating the results of long vs std rod lengths was to show that small
torque gains and improved efficiency resulting from lissened side loads on the
pistons during the power stroke was of some benefit, but reasonably expensive
for the dollars consumed. For instance a set of 5.4 inch rods is on the order
of 600-700 dollars, a set of pistons from J&E to offset the longer rods also
runs about the same. So it becomes anethema to buy 1400 dollars of stuff, plus
150 to balance the crank, flywheel, damper for street use. To be castigated as
some nerd who only understands the mathematics is not appreciated, especially
since I do have some amount of actual motor building.