RE: Excerpts & Comments

To: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Excerpts & Comments
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 07:59:34 -0700
Theo,

Nice swing Theo.

At 07:56 AM 10/8/98 -0600, Theo Smit wrote:
>I'll take a swing at one of your comments, which I've preserved below:
>
>(some thinking happend in the middle here)

That was my sole purpose.

>You're right. I was going to argue that the stress that the piston load
puts on
>the rod will be translated into heat, but that only happens if a strain is
>produced (i.e. a permanent lengthening or shortening of the rod). Any
_elastic_
>stress will just be recovered when the load is removed, no harm (or work)
done.
>If you're putting stresses on the rods that produce strain, well, we've
all seen
>the result of that...

Let me introduce you to another physicist, Robert Hooke (1635-1703), the
author of Hooke's law which simply states that there is a linear
relationship between stress (force applied) and strain (elongation or
compression) produced; that us up to the "elastic limit" where, as you say,
permanent changes occur. Engineers use Young's modulus, "tensile" strength,
"yield" strength and "failure" limit to more finely dice this idea, but
this is, as they say, "beyond the scope of this discussion".

>What we need is an automotive equivalent of James Randi to publicly and
soundly
>debunk all of the power, handling, and rust removal myths floating around.
Did
>you know you can remove rust by boiling your car in tomato soup?

Not only does this work, but it's an environmentally friendly idea that
should charm the pants off the EPA. Since they have run just about every
chassis stripping business out of California, maybe your idea's time has
come. ;-).

>Theo Smit
>tsmit@novatel.ca
>B382002705

Thinking only a little in San Diego,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com