Re: Excerpts & Comments

To: "Keith D. Ballard" <kdbsd@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Excerpts & Comments
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:23:07 -0700
Keith,

I'm glad you got this one off before your second latte Keith. Ah yes, good
ol' J.C., one of the very finest in a stellar array of brilliant minds.
Wouldn't even put poor ol' Bobby in the same category. Unfortunately, I was
born (believe it or not) way too late for all that easy physics. Really
now, strain is proportional to stress? How simple can you get anyway.

Now about talking to my dog; I used to have my miniature poodle Buster to
confide in, but poor guy - past away a couple of years ago. Had about the
same intelligence as a slightly retarded child. But now, as you have
astutely observed, I am using the List as my surrogate foil. Sometimes it
seems a bit like trading a poodle for a Doberman pinscher, and other
sometimes it's a delight. Like your post, for example. Yes, I promise to
give some serious thought to your suggestion (?) to get another dog and
bend his ear for some of these more arcane musings. I'll bet you're not the
only one that would be relieved.

Bob

At 11:12 AM 10/8/98 -0700, Keith D. Ballard wrote:
>Yipes, Dr. Bob....Robert Hooke yet?  Well let me introduce you to James Clerk
>Maxwell (1831-79) the physicist who formulated a theory of electromagnetic
>waves 20 years before they were discovered.  How did he come up with his
>innovative ideas?  Often by engaging in pretend conversations with his dog
>Tobi.  I'm going to recommend his method to you, Dr. Bob,  Revolutionary new
>notions about how to lengthen/shape your rod are beginning to swirl up from
>your subconscious mind, but they are so surprising and controversial you may
>need to talk them over with imaginary friends who have no stubborn
expectations
>about where your future lies. Your friends in SD ( and I count myself one of
>them) know, and wish you well.
>
>Tak'en a coffee break in SD
>keith ballard

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com