Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:47:27 -0700
At 08:15 AM 10/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
Let's pose the question the other way around: Has anyone out there ever
>used yellow snot, yellow death, contact cement, or whatever you want to
>call it to glue the cork doglegs to the block and had it not seal?? I've
>done it this way a dozen times or more and never had a problem. I think it
>requires only slightly more proficiency than just using silicone and I feel
>a lot more confident when I'm finished.

        The problem with the cork gaskets is keeping them in place as they are
compressed while tightening the manifold bolts.  Contact cement works well
but another "Old Racers Trick" is to prepare the block surface with a
center punch.  Using a sharp center punch, strike the block midway between
the inner and outer edges of the cork gasket surface every 3/8" or so
across this surface.  The punch leaves craters with sharp raised edges and
these prevent the cork from extruding its way out as it is compressed.
Contact cement on this prepared surface, a light coating of RTV on the top
surface and a bubble of RTV at each tang interface with the manifold
gasket.  Essentially bulletproof assembly.

        ps      Felpro Print-o-Seal gaskets are very effective for intake
sealing.  I
also like to
                use hardened grade 8 washers under the manifold bolts to obtain
uniform
                torquing conditions.

Tom