Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets

To: Bill Martin <bmartin@snf.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 07:53:12 -0700
Bill,

I'm not sure why you would have too much gap for the cork gaskets. Sounds
like the intake is also not aligned with the head if this is the case. If
you milled the block and/or heads, I think it would cause a misalignment of
the intake passages, etc., but not affect the position of the intake
relative to the block (maybe I'm wrong about this; just picturing it in my
head). But they recommend to mill the faces of the intake manifold if you
mill the head or block to take care of this problem though, which in this
case would make the intake sit lower and leave less gap where the cork
goes. I'm also confused as to what the cork per se has to do with water
passages sealing. If you didn't have any cork, RTV, or whatever there,
wouldn't that just make a relatively inconsequential opening into the
engine above the lifters, etc.? Maybe some oil would come out or air sucked
in by the PCV?

Bob

At 07:17 AM 10/19/98 -0700, Bill Martin wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I use the copper silicon sealer and the reason I do this is because the
>intake only torques down to 15 to 20 lb, I have experienced intake leaks
>on the front water passages, the culprit was an insufficently squished
>cork gasket on the front rail. No leaks to date with the silicone.
>Bill

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com