Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:46:13 -0700
Bob, Listers

You know, maybe Rootes really did have enough sense to
correctly proportion the rear wheel cylinder size to reduce
the usual relative force the same high pressure that the
disks require.  Of course, you are right that the friction
materials and surface condition play a big role, and a
change from the design values can change everything.
Interesting to contemplate Rootes doing such engineering on
the brakes, and sowing incompetence in simple areas.  Like
the handbrake connection to the seating area of your pants,
and to your knuckles when winding windows with the brake
on.  Personally, I haven't experienced any lock-up except in
gravel, and I have the larger 7" booster that provides more
foot power amplification (2.2:1  vs 3.0:1, I think).

What's the consensus.  Anyone locking rear brakes under
heavy braking?  Do we need a proportioning valve?

While on braking, I have come into possesion an early NOS
"ABS/Trax" anti-lock braking system for single master
cylinder cars.  This system uses very high tech
polished/anodized aluminum sealed units.  Not cheap
manufacture.  One is meant to "T" into the front disk
system, and the other on the rear disk line.  Presumably set
for disk-front/drum rear there are no electronics involved.
It does not sense wheel lock-up and relieve braking  It
appears to contain a high pressure gas on one side of a
piston, with a spring/valve control to "chatter" the braking
in an on/off mode.  Like pumping the brakes 1,000 times a
minute.

Anyone with any experience using something like this?  The
manufacturer is not in business and there seem to have been
more than one .

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >