Re: Traction bars

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: Traction bars
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:24:38 -0800
Dave,

You are probably referring to Larry Atkisson and his bolt-on LAT-6
reproduction traction bars. You can contact Larry at:

        CATkisson@aol.com

The bolt-on bars let the clamped end move, albeit with some friction, to
prevent bind-up between the location of the axle as defined by the leaf
springs and the position as defined by the traction bar. With the front end
of the bar welded to the frame, the angle of the traction bar must be
carefully adjusted to be compatible with the motion of the spring. Related
to roll steer; i.e., the axle doesn't move straight up and down, so the
traction bar needs to follow this motion reasonably accurately or you have
problems.

Bob

At 07:26 PM 11/2/98 -0800, Dave Binkley wrote:
>Trying to figure out what kind/brand of traction bars are on my car.  They
>are definitely not what is pictured on pages 62-63 in the Book of Norman as
>Traction Masters.
>
>On mine, the traction rod is threaded on each end.  On the back end a big
>bolt goes in the end of the traction rod and connects the rod to the pad
>that attaches to the axle U bolts.  On the front, there is another bolt that
>goes in the end of the traction rod and connects the rod to a pad which is
>welded to the frame adjacent to the front spring attach point.  The forward
>1/3 of the traction rod is a smaller diameter than the rear 2/3's.
>
>Anyone know where these are from?
>
>I seem to remember a post last year that mentioned that someone in the
>Pacific Tiger Club (Washington?) was selling traction bars.   Know anything
>about that?
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Dave

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com