Drivers School (Little Tiger Content)

To: kellyb <kellyb@elmnet.net>, Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Drivers School (Little Tiger Content)
From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:00:05 -0500
I went to Atlanta motor speedway and ran the big track and the road
course
in a Car Guys drivers school to get my SCCA license. Not having the guts
or
money to take the Tiger I took my  ITB Mustang I have built. It is a BIG
rush to run 125.9 mph
off turn 4 down the dog leg in a "Stock" 4 cyl Mustang. The Mustang
stuck good
down on the white line but was a lot faster up high to get the run off
turn 4 but a lot
more skittish. There is something called throttle reduced over steer
which is eye
opening to say the least. I came up on a vet in turn 3 and he SAID he
hit the rev limiter
but I think he lost his nerve. He backed off I had to lift to keep from
hitting him
in the rear and the back end kicked up the hill a little. At 110+ it is
a good way to soil
your whites. I got my license and gave a couple M3 BMWs a new respect
for Ford.
They would blow past me on the NASCAR straight but soon as we hit the
road course
I was back on there tail and the corner workers were giving the the let
him pass flag.
It really chapped there butt.. I could run with all but 2 cars in the
road course.
A Viper, and new Z-28 on race tires. The Viper would lap me 3 time in a
30 min run.
But SHE was running over 140 in the turns. I got passed running 115
going into turn
3 like I was sitting still. The next school is at Charlotte in February
maybe save enough
money for 40 gallons of 114 m/r 76 racing gas, 2 sets of brakes, 1 set
of tires. Second
thought it will most likely be the Mustang again...

Doug