Chrome Bores...

To: "Sunbeam Tiger List" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Chrome Bores...
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:23:19 -0800
    let us NOT forget the plight of the early Chevy Vega's with their
Aluminum engines, and their aluminum Chrome plated bores.  They were
designed to last several hundred thousand miles, and did in their testing.
It was an interesting design.  They failed to consider real world
application where the human factor takes over and forgets to check the
colling level, then over heats the engine, and warps the block.  The
chromium rings with their razor sharp edge then shave off the chrome
cylinder lining.  Then these same rings carve large pockets into the the
soft aluminum walls, and the engine belches clouds of smoke, as the engine
take itself apart from the inside out!....

    I don't know what ever happened to the Aluminum blocks with ceramic
bores liners.  There had been talk of using ceramic pistons as well...It
always sounded like an awfull lot of heat storage to me....

Rich