RE: Chrome Bores...

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Chrome Bores...
From: "Fraser, Ron" <Ron.Fraser@usa.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 09:40:00 -0500
        I never saw any Chrome in the bores of the Chevy Vega Aluminum
engines.  I worked at the engine assembly plant in Buffalo N.Y. the summer
of 1972.
      The process was to infuse a silicon compound into the aluminum matrix
of the cylinder walls so the rings would ride on the harder silicon compound
and not the softer aluminum.   According to some people on the inside, Chevy
never got the process right.   I believe in the last years of that engine
they used cast iron sleeves for the bores, then dropped the engine in favor
of the "Iron Duke" engine.
        I drove a '75 Vega for over 100,000 miles, got 32 to 40 mpg after
tuning and tweaking, the body rusted out, the engine was still strong.

Ron Fraser