Re: Electronic ignition

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:29:16 -0800

Bob Palmer wrote:

> Steve, Chris,
>
> To really discuss this subject rationally, we need to recognize that
> "voltage" is not a unit of energy. So comparisons of various components on
> the basis of voltage is very misleading......

> Robert L. Palmer

Sorry, Bob,

Didn't mean to 'mislead' you.  What I was stressing on resistance and current
has
NOTHING to do with your excellent thesis on spark energy.  This discussion was
specifically meant to address the limited current capability of the Pertronix
Hall effect, and similar systems, on the input side.  Even the optical trigger
units still do their switching with current limited transistors.

Last time I looked, E (voltage) still equaled I (current) times R (resistance).
Since the current going to the hall transistor is E divided by R, and E is a
constant (about 12-13 volts at the resistor) then the current is directly
controlled by the TOTAL resistance of the coil used and the resistor used.
Pertronix specifically limits the lowest total resistance value to limit the
current to the transistor to stay within it's switching capabilities without
burn-out.

This has nothing to do with the frequency or energy of the spark, except insofar
as the total energy going to the coil is limited by this constraint.  Pertronix
is not the only unit to have maximum current capabilities, they all have their
limits, as do the points.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >