RE: Electronic ignition

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Electronic ignition
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:44:44 -0700
My Tiger came (from the PO) with a Mallory electronic distributor installed. The
pickup (can't remember if it's optical or Hall effect) and amplifier are inside
the distributor housing so you don't need any external bits to hook it up (it
does need 3 connecting wires instead of one). It's still using the coil ballast
resistor. It works well, but it has no vacuum advance, and the distributor
housing and cap are not very original.

I've also used the Allison optical-pickup electronic ignition conversion on a
four-cylinder with great success. It also has a three-wire hookup, but since
only the pickup is inside (your old) distributor body, the wires are small and
maybe you can put some heat shrink over it to make it look like a standard
pickup wire. Since you use the existing distributor, you keep the original
appearance. You also keep any bearing and advance problems you may have had with
the stock distributor.

Good luck,

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca