Re: Bubble Flares

To: laifman@flash.net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net, alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bubble Flares
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:57:26 EST
My most recent experience with brake lines was with a Volvo.  With any kind of
wrench that I've tried, and I've tried them all,  I've ended up spoiling the
fitting going into the caliper.

Upon a visit to a local chain of small auto stores I found three kind of brake
line fittings.  What they called "american",  Japanese  and  German.  The
"German" matched the Volvo.

The so called Japanese and German looked identical to me, but were labeled
Ger. and Jap. by the supplier.  Incidentally, they were all available in 3/8"
x 24.

In the past to correct some of my messes I've purchased a short legnth of the
proper line with fittings and also purchased the proper compression coupling.
Cut off the end  I need and join it to the original line with the compression
fitting.  I was worried years ago that this was not a safe repair although
I've used compression fittings for hundreds of repairs to water lines.
Anyway, I've never had a failure on a brake line with this repair.     Any
comments to this?  I'm sure with this list there will be.
 Mark L.