Re: Bubble Flares

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bubble Flares
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 08:03:40 -0800 (PST)
>Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:02:46 -0500
>From: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
>Subject: Re: Bubble Flares

>I have bought both tools.  One makes an inverted double flare and the
>other makes a "English bubble".  The adapters that make the bubble are
>not the same.

I don't think there is anything particularly English about bubble
flares.  They are also referred to as ISO flare and I believe they
conform to some international standard.  J.C.  Whitney sells ISO flaring
tools too.  No I didn't buy one.

The brakes on my Cobra have a combination of bubble and double flares.
The bubble flares are on the "distribution" end- that is out of the
master cylinders and into and out of the Tees.  The caliper ends have
double flares where they couple to the flex lines.  The system is
entirely Girling and was installed at the AC Factory in 1963.  When I
redid the brakes I found that most auto parts stores stocked lines in
varying length with ISO flares and fittings at both ends.  The diameter
of these lines and the fittings on them are identical to the original
lines on my car, BTW.

My brake overhaul included switching to Aeroquip flex lines with AN
fitting.  I bought new steel lines of the correct length with ISO flares
and fitting on both ends and cut one end off.  Since I don't have an AN
flaring tool, I had a local shop flare the cut ends for me.  Here's how
they did the double flares:  first they made single AN flare (37.5
degrees), next they used an SAE double flaring die to start the second
flares, then they finished the flares with the AN tool.

Roland