Bubble Flares

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Bubble Flares
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:44:35 -0800
'Beamers,

As you know, the British hydraulic lines (with a few
peculiar exceptions) are "bubble flares" on the tube ends,
rather thatn the US standard "double flares".

To clarify, for those unfamiliar with these, the US system
uses a two step flaring tool that 'bulges' the tubing with a
special fitting on the screw end of the flaring tool, then
removes the special end and uses a tapered end to fold the
bulged tubing into a doubled "V" shape.

Typically the process looks like this:

1)  Hydraulic tube:   ===============

2) First step in process:  ================<>

3) Finished flare: =====================<<

with the "<<" joined at the outside, of course.

The British process seems to stop with something like step
2).

The outer nut pushes both of these into the threaded hole
with the same thread form, and the back side of the nut
appears about the same.  The hole it's going into, however,
is very different.  The American one has a "<" shape to
accept the "======<", while the british female connection
has a projection like this "<" on the bottom, to meet the
"bubble".

Straight tubing is available from Sunbeam specialties, so
you can replace your lines.

What, however, would you do if you needed to use US
hydraulic components (non-stock), or maybe US tubes?  Or
even AN fittings? Some have just used a bigger wrench.  Not
good!

A firm that handles specialized hydraulics, including an
fittings, adapters, hose, etc. has a web page.  They are:

Paragon Performance
http://www.paragonperformance.com
1-800-270-0333

Afer a few interchanges, I got the following reply:

"Steve,

After getting the terminology squared away, we are familiar
with the
fittings and can do the assemblies using adapters. We do
need to know,
however, what the application is - brake lines or clutch
lines. Of course,
if you can give us the exact assembly configurations or send
us the stock
lines, we can evaluate them and get back to you with a
competitive quote.

Mike"

Hope this source will be of value to you.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >