Re: Safety warning

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Safety warning
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:30:15 -0600
Fellow listers, heed Stu's warning.  I have a friend here in OKC who is a
member of the local chapter of the Jaguar club.  I don't know how it is in
California, but the Jag folks here are very picky about their cars and, as
a result, usually win everything in sight at the shows.  As this story was
related to me, one of their members had a stunning E-Type roadster (Series
II, I think) that was about as pure as they come.  One day, one of his
garage door springs got loose on him and, according to my friend, just flat
tore the hell out of that Jag.  It cost him a new top, windshield (not to
mention scarring up the brightwork on the windshield frame) and
paintwork...definitely not the kind of thing that you want happening to
your pride and joy.

This story made a believer out of me and, as it happens, I was needing to
replace my doors anyway.  I changed mine out with the torsion bar style,
which has the spring running across the top of the door with a big metal
shaft right through it.  That is really the best kind to have since, if the
spring breaks, it has nowhere to go and will definitely not pull the shaft
loose from it's mountings.  At the very least, please heed Stu's advice and
install the safety cables if you have the springs that run the length of
the door track.  I can sure save you a lot of grief.

Later,
Andy Walker