Why Don't you Take it to the Track?

To: tigers@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Why Don't you Take it to the Track?
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:25:45 -0500
Folks,
        On many occasions I have been asked why I don't take my
Tiger to the Drag strip.  The Feb 99 issue of Hot Rod has a nice
list of the reasons.  The following Tech requirements are extracted and
discussed.

General safety check, and seat must have solid mount: ( Tiger seat mounts
probably
would not pass) .

No leaks:  ( The rain that leaks into the floor board would probably drop on
the track)

Mininum 1 pint overflow tank:  Stock Tiger does not come with one. However
I do have one on mine.

Driveshaft 360 degree  safety loop 1/4" thick by 2" wide within 6 inches of
front
 U joint for 13.99 sec  or faster:  Could add without much problem.

Dual throttle return springs:  Stock Tigers may  not come this way, however
I do have
        a pair on mine.

No more than 12" total of rubber fuel line:  Would require a complete fuel
line redo
        for this.

Minimum 5 point roll bar for 13.99 and 8 point roll cage for 10.99: ($ and
difficult)
        Roll bar/ cage no further than 6" behind head:  (No problem.)
        Roll bar/ cage at least 3" above head: ( Could not get hard top or
rag top over this.)
       ( Would have to set on floor pan to get even close to 3" with a roll
bar that allows
        the top(s) to be put on.)
        Roll bar /cage at least as wide as driver's shoulders:  (Set in the
middle?)
        8 point Roll Cage must have  approved driver's window net: ($)
        Mounting direct to frame or to 6X6X1/4" plates welded to unibody:
(difficult)
       Driver's side sidebar between shoulder and elbow: (difficult to  get
in and out)
        SFI approved padding on bars near helmet:  ($)

10.99 , locking rear end or spool must have approved aftermarket axles. ($)
        C-Clip eliminator kit on axles: (Don't know if this applies to Tiger
rear.)

For battery in trunk:
        Approved battery box. ( Non- stock Tiger II)
        Box bolted to frame with two 3/8" bolts, no J hooks: (Tiger II has J
hooks.)
        Battery cut off switch wired to positive side and accessable from
rear of car: ( Another
         hole in the Tiger?)
        Rear firewall:. ( Major sheet metal work required to a Tiger.  The
trunk is open
        to the rag top fold down area and around the fender wells.)

11.99 requires metal  screw in valve studs: ( Had these and they leaked.)

11.99 SFI approved scattershield and scatter shield to block plate.
(Previously  had a Lakewood, but it's poor tolerance caused starter mount
problems and loss of the teeth on the ring gear. )

13.99 Approved aftermarket 5 point restraint system.  Replaced every 2
years: ($)

Wheel studs protrude through the nut one stud diameter. No Capped nuts:
(All new longer studs needed)

Neutral safety switch:  ( ? apply to manual transmission?)

Spring loaded Reverse Lockout:  (OK on original Tiger Shifter, but I just
changed to a Hurst which has none.)

13.99 SNELL or SFI approved helmet: ( More $, mine is too old to pass.)

And that is the starting place.  Fire suit probably also needed.

The above is why I bought a G-Tech Pro.  Gives 1/4 mile time and speed,
HP, Gs, 0 to 60 mph and 60 to zero.   Still have the Tiger apart so I can't
use it yet.  Getting close to being back on the road.

:
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others