Re: Stub axle carrier

To: dbinkley@argotech.com
Subject: Re: Stub axle carrier
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:49:57 EST
Dave

Try this on each side:
1.  Loosen lug nuts.
     Loosen or remove nut at end of lower ball joint mounting bolt.
     This is not the nut at the end of the ball joint itself.
     DO NOT REMOVE the bolt.
     Do all this so you are worried about pulling the car off jacks
2.  Jack car and place jacks stands under the frame in front of
     the door.  I also placed one in the middle of the cross member.
     Better safe than sorry.
3.  Remove wheel.
4.  Remove the shock absorber through spring.
5.  Place jack under A-arm and raise enough to unload the ball
     joint.  Loosen the nut on top of the joint about 3/8 in.
     DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT.
6.  Slowly lower the jack while tapping around the spindle.
     The strength of the spring will seperate the joint with a
     very loud BANG.  Don't worry the nut will hold.
7.  Raise jack again enough to allow you to remove the nut.
     Drive the mounting bolt out.
8.  Slowly lower the jack.  The ball joint will fall from the spindle.
9.  Rotate the A-arm down and remove the spring.
10.  Remove the lower A-arm.
11.  Remove the upper A-arm keeping the alignment shims in order.
12.  Remove the upper ball joint nut until its even with the end of the
       stud.
13.  A few taps with a 5 lb precison adjustment tool will free it.
14.  Replace everything.
15.  I recommend Caterpiller bolts and nuts.  They are all grade 8
      or better and oil phosphate treated and have rolled threads.
      Far superior to the crap you at parts stores including Dorman.

Dave