Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Positive and/or negative earth: Why on earth?
From: Flüeler Roland, FLO
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:34:15 +0100
--MimeMultipartBoundary

A preliminary remark first: I have almost no knowledge about electricity. It
and its applications just belong to the great many black boxes I'm happily
living with. Still, sometimes even users of black boxes start wondering.

When in a recent discussion with a friend of mine I mentioned that my Tiger
Mk I has a "negative earth" electric system my friend laughed at me and said
that all cars are like this. I wouldn't want to question this but told him
merely that from what I read about Tigers so far the matter was presented in
a way that made me believe that negative earth (either on the Tiger or even
in general) is (or was then) something "special". Nothing special to him
however! Still, why would one talk about negative earth (e.g. on my car's
clock where it reads "for negative earth") at all if it is clear and
standard to everyone? And then: Why does another friends series II Alpine
have the grounding of the battery on the positive pole? BTW: He couldn't
help. Just another user of black boxes!

So, is there a difference between having a car's electric system on
"positive" or "negative earth"? Are there pros and cons? When and why did
Rootes change from one system to the other?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Roland
B 9471941
in Switzerland