Dual Master Cylinder

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Dual Master Cylinder
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:09:22 -0500
Folks,
        Lots of responses to my question about peddle force
with a dual master cylinder.  Thanks to all.

Two responses that the peddle force will be the same.

Two responses that the peddle force will be larger.

One response that that the master cylinder will not fit
so it doesn't matter.  (It fits on my highly modified Tiger)

Two suggested perportioning valves may be needed. (agreeded)

Brake lines were mentioned as having no effect. ( I only mentioned
that I had yet to finish installing the brake lines.  Sorry if you assumed
that I was considering the force related to the lines, which is a null set)

        I am tending to agree with the" larger force required" camp
after I did some more  math and graphics.

        The response that noted that the master cylinder may
have different size pistons will cause me to remove the
master cylinder from theTiger, disassemble it and measure
the bore(s).  The master  cylinder is for  a 74-77 Mustang
with  non-power brakes, disks up front and drums in the rear.

After some math based on the actual bore(s), I will know if
I have wasted $14 for the master cylinder.

The reason I am doing this is that I have already had a brake line
fail with the resulting loss of all braking.  My daughter was
driving the Alpine at the time.  Smashed the front a bit.  No damage,
except emotionally, to my daughter.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others