Re: Rear end gasket

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear end gasket
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:15:17 -0800
At 07:23 PM 2/4/99 -0500, John Slade wrote:
>From the description provided, it sounds like a couple of drops of
>Imodium in the diff would help.
>
>Jphn Slade
>Manitick,ON

I guess that would be Imodium AD for Alpine Differential and TD for Tiger
Differential. But I think Bruce should probably consult a proctologist for
a second opinion before taking any action. Sounds to me like maybe not
enough roughage in the diet. Maybe toss in a handful of sawdust to firm
things up a bit.

Now seriously Bruce, if you're running synthetic oil in the diff, or
anywhere for that matter, it's almost impossible to keep it from leaking.
Your best bet is Hylomar sealant though. There are other reasonable
choices, but I'd skip any silicones for this application. Oh yes, the
gasket. I think this is a real common type for a Dana 44. Try your local
Jeep dealer for example. I could probably dig up a part #, but it'd be
pretty dated. Maybe someone else has bought one recently.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com