Re: Windshields

To: pete_stanisavljevich@sunserv1.valpak.com
Subject: Re: Windshields
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:58:41 -0800

Pete Stanisavljevich wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> This discussion of the wedges under the windshield has my interest
> going. When I popped my windshield years ago to replace the rubber, all
> I found was black goo were the wedges used to be. Not knowing any
> better, I reassembled without them. Of course, top frame and wing window
> problems resulted.
>
> Now I know why.
>
> Since my car is apart for body work/painting I have a chance to remedy
> the situation. I assume you use the correct amount of shims / wedges to
> get the correct alignment, wing window edge to the windshield frame. Is
> this correct? Where do I get the wedges /shims.
>

> Peter S.
> B9471799

Pete,

I wish I could give you the solution you need. Unfortunately, these are the
"Lost Rootes Shop Practices".  There is just one shim per side.  They are
made of rubber, and are tapered like a wedge.  That's exactly what they
do.  They 'wedge' the windshield rake till the posts are parallel to the
window front edge.  Probably done with a 'dry fit' at the factory,  A
measurement of the lean (maybe the doors are even installed by then) and a
selection from a number of boxes of different wedges labeled "A", "B",
etc.  Select fit is not unique to Rootes, and is done all the time.  Even
American production engine pistons are grouped in "A", "B", "C", etc.  A
bore measurement is made, during assembly, and the proper piston is plucked
for the correct fit.  Avoids close machining of both the bore and the
piston.

Recommend 'dry fit' (no sealer goop), if you didn't have the 'originals',
and a wedge of rubber so get the angle right.  A rubber block and a fine
tooth saw are all you need.  The wedge is narrower than the rubber, and
maybe even the windshield frame, and it is about 1 1/2 inches long by about
1/8 - 1/4 thick, depending on how tweaked your windshield frame is.  This
is a rough idea of the sizes I have seen.  It fits in the goop (when done)
between the body seal (WS52 in Sunbeam Specialties catalog) and the frame
just ahead of the last hold down bolts (one or two, depending on which
design you got.)

Hope this helps.
'Cut to match and Hammer to fit'

Steve