Calibrating water temp gauges

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Calibrating water temp gauges
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:32:15 EST
I suspect my original Smiths water temperature gauge is not accurate.  It
slowly works it way up to 250+ and pegs out.  The water temp. (75% antifreeze)
does not appear to be boiling.  The needle motion is jerky.  I tried grounding
the sender line and the gauge pegged out.  It took about 30 seconds to do so,
and did it in a series of jerky motions.  Now, I'm trying an experiment.  I
rigged up a mechanical gauge to the line next to the electrical sending unit.
I'm going to run the motor and compare the two temperatures.  If the
electrical gauge is off, is there a way to recalibrate it?

Rob Kempinski
Melbourne Fl