RE: Fuel Pump over Muffler

To: "'BlueGolfer@aol.com'" <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump over Muffler
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:41:11 -0700
I think the heat shield is a good idea, but the insulation is a bad idea. The
last thing you want is for a leak to soak a whole bunch of gas into the
insulation, and _then_ have it set on fire by the muffler. The heat shield would
act as a deflector to keep gas from dripping on the muffler, if nothing else.

Obligatory War Story:
Years (about 12) ago, I had a Civic set up with a single DCOE and a Japanese
(dual-outlet) exhaust manifold, which I piped into a collector using a pair of
24" long secondaries. The secondaries ran directly underneath the carburetor,
with the carb located about 15 inches above the two pipes. Because of the lack
of vibration isolators (no room between the carb and the firewall), the carb
float would eventually develop a crack and sink, thus flooding the carb. On the
DCOE, there's a 1/2" float vent hole that runs into the air cleaner, and of
course from there the fuel would drip down onto the two exhaust pipes. It would
just evaporate when it hit the pipes - no smoke, no flames.
I don't know how hot the mufflers on the Tiger actually get, and how close to
the flashpoint of gasoline that is.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705