Re: Fuel pump switch

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel pump switch
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:06:16 -0800
At 02:59 PM 2/20/99 -0800, Steve Laifman wrote:
>I think the "neat solution" Allan was thinking of is the
>battery cut-off switch.  Can be neatly hidden away, and if
>you walk away from the car with the key in your pocket, it's
>only going somewere if it's towed.  Same thing for fire.
>Cut the power, reach for extinquisher.
>
>If you're not there to save it, reach for insurance company
>phone number, and be prepared to argue a lot.
>
>Steve

Steve, et Listers,

Now you can install one of those battery switches somewhere, but you
probably wouldn't want to run that heavy welding cable that runs from the
trunk to the starter relay over to the ashtray. And speaking of insurance
companies (fire insurance in this case) has anyone ever heard of that
battery cable shorting out? I'll bet that could ruin your whole day. I
installed one of those battery kill switches, although in a rather
prominent place as required by SCCA, etc. Still, if I take the key with me,
it would probably take the average thief quite a while to figure out what's
wrong. But then, the average thief wouldn't be stealing a Tiger, would he?
More likely a '95 Toyota Camry. How much are Tiger parts worth anyway.

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com