Re: gas tank sender

To: "Arnie Sugar" <asugar@hongwest.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gas tank sender
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:55:04 -0800
Arnie,

There may be a couple of dead chickens in your gas tanks. They way to check
out whether the sending unit and the gauge are working is to use the data
supplied by Stu Brennen under Tech Tips

        http://www.corpdemo.com/tiger/techtips/gageohms.html

He gives the correct sender resistance for 11 gals as 21 ohms. First,
disconnect the wire to the gauge and substitute this resistance to ground
and see if the gauge reads 11 gallons. If it reads the same 7-8 gallons,
then you can eliminate the tank/sender/chickens as the problem. On the
other hand, if the gauge reads correctly, then you can track the sender
resistance versus the amount of gas you have in the tank. I guess you would
have to completely drain the gas tanks to establish a base line. Hope this
helps.

BTW, your elevator is obviously working to full capacity today. :>)

Ta, ta for now,

Bob

At 08:26 AM 2/25/99 -0800, Arnie Sugar wrote:
>Re: From: "Schotland" <gary@schotland.com>
>Subject: parts for sale
>
>Gary et listers,
>
>Hmm, seeing your gas tank sender for sale reminds me of a minor problem
>I've had for years, my fuel gauge never quite gets to "full" around the 11
>gallon mark (I've also been told my elevator doesn't go to the top floor),
>but only reaches around 7-8 on a full tank. It goes down from there, and
>seems accurate at the low end.  Is this a sinking/leaking float ? Does the
>sender come with a float ? Any suggestions ? (as if I could stem the
>inevitable tide of helpful hints and dead chicken stories...)
>
>Arnie Sugar
>B38200155

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com