Re: Insurance Scam

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Insurance Scam
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 08:43:57 -0800

DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

> Only in California.  The land of laws and laws that do nothing
> but restrict your freedom.
>
> In Illinois the law is simple.  You don't need insurance for a
> license.  It is the owner of the vehicle that must have insurance
> for all drivers.  Get caught driving an uninsured vehicle and you
> pay a mandatory $500 fine and your license is gone for 6 months.
> No exceptions.  No room for the judge to reduce it.

DJoh,

Don't be so quick to criticize.  The law is no different here,
except I think the fine is larger.

The difference is enforcement.  Police used to be able to require
proof of insurance for any vehicle stop, including an insurance
check.  Too many complaints from the under-privileged, and a ruling
that a stop must be for an observed violation, and the insurance
check secondary was made.

 To counter that, the State now requires you submit an affidavit of
current insurance from your insurance company before they will send
you your license plate sticker.  Now you can get stopped for not
having a valid plate, then the insurance check, and away we go to
court.  Bring money, no discretion.

Jay and I lived in Illinois, (Highland Park) for 6 years, before
returning to the land of sunshine.  Great state, great people, great
Italian food, great spring/summer season (all three weeks before the
humidity and mosquitos come).  Still, nicest neighbors I've ever
known.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >