Re: Transmission woes

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Transmission woes
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:36:17 -0500
At 12:34 PM 3/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>     Years back, a buddy of mine bought an new four speed Aspen right off
>     the dealer's lot.  Real basic, no tach, etc.
>
>     He didn't have it one hour before he began to notice that there was a
>     heck of a hole ratiowise between second and third, and fourth seemed
>     higher than third.  Back to the dealer.
>
>     No no, he was told.  There's nothing wrong.  That's a special
>     overdrive fourth gear, and it will feel and sound different.  Yeah,
>     right.
>
>     Shortly after the car found itself on the lift at another
>     establishment.  Within seconds, we were all laughing.  It seemed that
>     some bored factory assembler had installed the 3/4 lever arm on the
>     side of the transmission upside down.  It looked fine, no funny
>     clearances or extreme adjustments, but it was reversed.
>
>     So Jim, do you think that whoever put the Hurst on the new tranny,
>     either you or the PO, might have made the same mistake?
>
>     Stu
        As I previously stated, the lever on the 3-4 shaft is vertical
just like my original Tiger II transmission.  If I invert the lever and
make a new shift rod ( with a big bend in it to clear the reverse lever)
then the shifting will work.  I just can't figure out how it works
backwards now.  It is installed at the moment so I can not open it up
to look at things.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others