Re: Transmission woes

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission woes
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:51:51 -0500
At 07:44 PM 3/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 05:36 PM 3/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>        As I previously stated, the lever on the 3-4 shaft is vertical
>>just like my original Tiger II transmission.  If I invert the lever and
>>make a new shift rod ( with a big bend in it to clear the reverse lever)
>>then the shifting will work.  I just can't figure out how it works
>>backwards now.  It is installed at the moment so I can not open it up
>>to look at things.
>>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others
>
>       Examine the case for the location of the 3 - 4 arm in a vertical
>direction.  It is possible that they cast a case for this application that
>relocated the pivot point so that the internal lever is on the top side of
>the shift rail.  I would think that moving the internal shift rail location
>would be a less likely solution (more parts to redesign).  If you look at a
>diagram of the top loader, or study the mechanism, you will find that the
>internal lever is pointed up as is the external arm.  To reverse this
>motion, something's got to be moved.  You know that they used the direct
>drive for third and fussed with the gear count on the input shaft and the
>front of the cluster gear to get the OD ratio.  I have never investigated
>this setup in any detail but I suspect that a 1:1 4th would be a stronger
>option for your 351 application.
>
>Tom
Tom,
        With the "3rd" gear having only 21 teeth it provides an overdrive.
and with normal linkage that "3rd" is in the upper right of the H.
The 1:1 is in the lower right of the H.  Therefore I now believe that
the internal linkages are un-changed from the normal transmission.
However, to make the overdrive exist on the lower right of the H pattern
I simply inverted the 3-4 transmission shift lever.  I did fabricate a
new linkage tonight.  Appears to work OK.
        I ran a huge Excel spread sheet today trying to figure out
the ratios, number of teeth on the cluster gear and idler gear .  I used only
interger number of teeth in the gear calculations, but for some reason
I could not get the ratios to match any known transmission ratios.
I believe that the 2nd and 3rd gear are driven directly from the
cluster gear.  The 1st is driven with an idler off of the cluster
gear.  The cluster gear is driven by the main input gear.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others