RE: Transmission ID

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Subject: RE: Transmission ID
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:59:03 -0800
Jim,

I think what Theo is saying is that the speedometer/odometer is a single
unit and, if self-consistent, should be left as is. You could adjust the
speedometer part, but then the odometer would still be wrong. The only way
to do this right is to find a set of drive gears that gives the correct
number of turns per 1/100 of a mile (52.8 feet) as Laifman has described.
If you had noticed what the odometer readings were on your trip, and they
were accurate and only your speed was wrong, then indeed your speedometer
needs recalibrating. But if your odometer also reads about 10% high, then
don't touch it.

Bob

At 10:32 PM 3/19/99 -0500, James Barrett wrote:
>At 04:41 PM 3/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>You shouldn't have to get the speedo adjusted, provided you use the same
gears
>>on the trans output shaft and on the speedo takeoff, as what you had
>previously.
>>The output shaft still spins at the same speed for a given road speed, no
>matter
>>what you have in there for a transmission.
>>
>>Theo Smit
>>tsmit@novatel.ca
>>B382002705
>Theo,
>        I agree with the second statement, however this transmission
>came with a speedometer gear that is completely different from the
>original tiger gear.  The teeth are reversed and if I recall there
>are about 22 teeth,  My Tiger II had 17 teeth.  The drive comes off the
>bottom of the tail shaft while the Tiger came off the top of the tail
>shaft.  Driving up HY 95 on the way to the TE/AE/All British meet,
>I was followed by Rob in his mustang.  I was setting on 70 and
>he said I was around 75 to 79 most of the time.  My wife also
>followed me in a Chev.  I was setting on 60 ( in a heavy rain)
>and she said I was going around 68 mph.
>So I do need to calibrate my speedometer.
>

>James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com