Re: Instrument Questions (LONG)

To: Mike Burd <mikeburd@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Instrument Questions (LONG)
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:31:57 -0800

Mike Burd wrote:

> I have a couple of questions regarding the installation of a 302:
>
> The smith water temp sending unit doesn't thread into the aftermarket
> Edelbrock F4B manifold. Will a ford sending unit do the job with the stock
> Mark 1 Smith gauge?
>
> I don't have a speedo drive gear but I have a new cable. I had the tranny
> redone by David Kees Toploaders in Texas with wide gear ratio. Will a Ford
> drive gear fit? I am using 13" wheels . What size gear do I need?
>
> Thanks for your help.  Mike in Canada

Mike,

The definitive answer:

MANIFOLDS

The non-Tiger F4-B has pipe threads.  The Smiths sender has 5/8 - 18 straight
threads.  You cannot re-tap the existing hole because it is too big.  You
should not use an adapter as the sender sensing element will not be in the
correct position in the water passage, and give incorrect temperatures.  You
can not use a US sender because it is not compatible with your gauge, you'd
have to use a US gauge. You can not put a brass adapter in the unit and tap
it to the correct size, as the O.D. of the new thread will exceed this O.D.
of the brass.

O.K., that's what you can't do.  What you CAN do is to have the original hole
heli-arc filled with aluminum and tap it with the correct thread.  This even
eliminates the need for that grounding wire connection.  The welder should
machine the original hole to a conical shape to clean out the old material
and allow access to the bottom for a bottom to top fill.  This is old
castings, and a lot of imbedded crud will float to the surface of the molten
aluminum.  Should be skimmed (removed) while still molten.  In the end, you
will have the correct thread, in the correct place.

SPEEDO CALIBRATION/TRANNY GEARS

On the tranny, there are TWO gears involved, as well as your rear end ratio
and tire size.  There is a helical gear inside the transmission, which drives
the toothed gear on the end of the speedo cable.  The actual transmission
gear ratio's do not matter. Top gear is 1:1 in both the wide and narrow
tranny anyway, unless you have a SROD.  Make sure the overall length is the
same as the Tiger (25 1/2 inches), or use the original output shaft and tail
shaft cover.  Use the original front bearing retainer, if you are fitting
this to a five bolt bell housing.

Measure 52.8 feet on the level ground.  With the speedo cable connected, have
a strong friend push your car between the marks a couple of times and count
the number of turns your cable makes. Putting a 'flag' of masking tape on the
cable makes it easier to count the turns. The stock speedo wants 980 turns
every mile.  In this test, you are going 1/100 of a mile (or get your friend
to push you a mile {9->.)   If you count 9.8 turns, you change nothing.  If
the speedo isn't accurate, it needs fixing.  Whether it's the magnetic
coupling that needs refreshing, or the gears that need changing is a
condition, dollar, and need for correct odometer reading matter.

If you don't get 9.8 turns, (and in the correct direction, clockwise), then
changes are needed.  If the tranny has been assembled, changing the helical
gear is a re-build.  The number of cable ends available are limited in tooth
count choices, and are only a coarse adjustment.  Say about 10%, if it's
available.  They are color coded, or you can count the teeth.

AAA has free speedo calibration tests for members.  They rotate the crew
amongst the local offices.  Check them for schedule.  Otherwise, expect $20
for a dyno check.  Rolling the car is cheaper.

Hope that answers your questions.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >