Re: Instrument Questions (LONG)

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Instrument Questions (LONG)
From: jay peterson <japeterson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:28:06 -0700

> The definitive answer:
>
> MANIFOLDS
>
> The non-Tiger F4-B has pipe threads.  The Smiths sender has 5/8 - 18 straight
> threads.  You cannot re-tap the existing hole because it is too big.  You
> should not use an adapter as the sender sensing element will not be in the
> correct position in the water passage, and give incorrect temperatures.  You
> can not use a US sender because it is not compatible with your gauge, you'd
> have to use a US gauge. You can not put a brass adapter in the unit and tap
> it to the correct size, as the O.D. of the new thread will exceed this O.D.
> of the brass.
>
> O.K., that's what you can't do.  What you CAN do is to have the original hole
> heli-arc filled with aluminum and tap it with the correct thread.  This even
> eliminates the need for that grounding wire connection.  The welder should
> machine the original hole to a conical shape to clean out the old material
> and allow access to the bottom for a bottom to top fill.  This is old
> castings, and a lot of imbedded crud will float to the surface of the molten
> aluminum.  Should be skimmed (removed) while still molten.  In the end, you
> will have the correct thread, in the correct place.

Mike,
When I ran into the same problem when installing a Cobra manifold on my
289 I took the Ford sender to a local British parts dealer (JAE) and ask
for a Smiths sending unit that would fit the same threads. They gave me
2 to try and I ran calibration check on each. The Smith's TT6811/01
tracked within 4 degrees of the thermocouple I was using so I left it
installed. Since I do not use a F4B I do not know for sure if the
threads are the same, but believe they are. I did not need to drill,
tap, or weld as it just screwed in.
Jay Peterson